Voter Registrations

Who can register and vote in Maine?

  • To register to vote, you must be a United States citizen, at least 17 years of age, and have established a fixed principal home in Maine.
  • To vote in a Referendum or General Election, you must be registered to vote in the community where you reside, and be at least 18 years of age. A 17 year old may vote in a Primary Election, if that person will be 18 by the General Election.

How do I register to vote?

A voter registration card must be completed.  You must bring identification and something that shows your current address. A driver’s license or state identification card with the current address meets both criteria, otherwise, a checkbook or bill addressed to the applicant at the current address along with a social security card, birth certificate, hunting/fishing license, etc.

Where do I register to vote?

Residents of Litchfield may register to vote in person at the Town Office, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, in most state & federal social service agencies, and on election day at our town polling place.  You may also mail in your voter registration card to the Clerk’s office or the Secretary of State’s Office in Augusta.

    • If you mail in your voter registration card, you must send proof of identity such as a photocopy of your driver’s license or other photo ID or a utility bill with your name and address on it. If you want to register to vote by mail or through a voter registration drive, the cut-off date is the close of business on the 21st day before the election.

What are the official political parties in Maine?  Do I have to enroll in a party?

At the time of registration, voters may select to enroll in a political party or choose to be “Unenrolled”.  (There is no recognized “Independent” party in Maine — if you wish not to be affiliated with a political party, you would select “Unenrolled”.)  The recognized political parties in Maine are Democrat, Republican, Libertarian and Green Independent.

You do not need to be enrolled in a political party to vote in a general election, municipal election or state referendum election.  To vote in a Primary election, you must be enrolled in a recognized political party. Unenrolled voters may not vote in a Primary election, but may choose to enroll in a political party and vote on Election Day.

If you are unenrolled, you can choose to enroll into a political party at any time.  If you are enrolled in a party and wish to change parties or unenroll, there is a 15 day waiting period after the change request before the change occurs.  Once enrolled in a party, you must remain enrolled in that party for at least three months (90 days) before a change in enrollment can be requested.

For more information and guidelines for completing the Maine Voter Registration Application, see the State of Maine Voter Guide.